It’s time again for another obligatory year-end post of favorite images. It was, indeed, an epic year shooting. While I don’t pretend to be a world traveler, I was thrilled to venture out of my native New England to rock New York City with some photo friends and experience some Southern Comfort in North Carolina with another. Of course, I continued to explore my own little world as well where I expanded my network of contacts. It was a creatively rewarding year.
So, without further ado, here are eleven of my favorite images from 2011.
1. The Quarry: This local Quarry was a favorite photographic obsession for me early in 2011.
2. Sightseeing: Sometimes the best shots come out of boredom. This was shot on a ferry ride from Long Island back to New England, back in May. Loved the lines.
3. The Hustle: An epic trip to NYC to shoot Grand Central and several other points of interest was, probably, the highlight of my year. Good friends. Good times.
4. Portland Head Light: Yes, I defied the park rangers to get this shot. I hopped the fence, scurried down to the rocks and risked death by receding tide. All to give my 10 stop ND filter some love.
5. The Pier at Kure Beach: Yes, I know. There are a billion shots of piers like this one out there. However, there are none of these at my area beaches. So I had a blast shooting them during a family trip to North Carolina.
6. The Welder: This shot was something of an out of body experience. I was at Bolton-Emerson Americas shooting some BW detail shots when I heard some activity in the Welding area. In all of my visits to the shop, it was the first time I saw anyone working in that area. It just worked.
7. 500 Boylston: A quick solo photo walk armed only with my fisheye lens through Boston yielded some pretty good results.
8. Drill Press: Another shot from Bolton-Emerson. A 70-80 year old drill press that is still in operation. So cool.
9. Past Times: This is the last shot I took on that long day of shoot back back in June. It sat in my archives until the fall.
10. SR-71: I had a fantastic day shooting in DC back in October with my friend, Jacques Gudé back on my annual trip to DC for the Marine Corps Marathon. This was shot at the Air and Space Museum’s Hazy Center near Dulles Airport.
11. 99%: This shot didn’t make my Blog originally. A mid October trip to NYC for a family wedding allowed me to explore the stomping grounds of the original Occupiers.